Big caramel-like dates stuffed with buttery coconut butter, smothered in rich dark chocolate and topped with a whole crunchy almond. These Almond Joy dates are way better than the candy bar, both for your taste buds and your health!
Studies have confirmed that people who eat healthy low-calorie snacks throughout the day find it easier to maintain a healthy weight than people who don’t snack at all. That’s why it’s a great idea to have a selection of nutritious snacks in your fridge at all times, so whenever a sweet craving hits, there’s always a sensible choice available.
These Almond Joy dates are inspired by the popular candy bar but pack a lot more nutrition for fewer calories. The natural sweetness of the dates curbs all sugary cravings, the fiber and fat in the coconut butter helps keep you full, anti-oxidants and minerals are found in all high quality (70+% cocoa) chocolate, and you get even more vitamins and minerals in almonds. Put all this together and you’ve got one delicious good-for-you snack that you don’t have to feel bad about eating!
This recipe makes 6 Almond Joy dates, but you can easily decrease the ingredients to make a smaller batch or increase them to make a larger batch. The dates store really well, so you can prepare loads of them on a weekend and have a supply of healthy sweet treats to get you through the week! After leaving the dates to chill in the fridge, place them inside a sealed plastic container or Ziploc bag. You can then keep them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Vegan – Gluten-free – makes 6 – 30 minutes
- 6 large dates
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips or chopped up dark chocolate (confirm it’s vegan, if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- 6 almonds
- Slice each of the dates in half horizontally and remove the stones. Don’t slice all the way through. Go just far enough so you can pull out the stone.
- Stuff each sliced date with 1 teaspoon of coconut butter and place in the fridge.
- Put the dark chocolate into a small microwave-safe dish and melt in the microwave in 30-second intervals. The chocolate should only take about 60 seconds to melt. Stir in between each interval so it doesn’t burn.
- Using a teaspoon, spread the melted dark chocolate onto the top of each date, covering the slice you made to stuff with the coconut butter.
- Evenly sprinkle the shredded coconut over the melted chocolate on each date and place one almond in each center. Leave the dates to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes, until the chocolate has set.