March 24, 2017 4:38 pm
Vegan dinner, party of two! Want to whip up something tasty, healthy and dairy-free this weekend? We’ve got just the dish! Here’s how to make it:
- Dash of salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 lemons
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups of vegan ravioli or bow tie pasta
- 2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3-4 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Broccoli florets, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Steam broccoli while oven heats.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt generously.
- While the pasta water’s heating, bring a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and garlic. Whisk and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is just brown.
- Add flour and whisk. Cook for 30 seconds, then whisk in almond milk slowly. Add salt and pepper and whisk further. Slightly lower heat and continue cooking to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Then drain and set aside.
- For extra creamy sauce, add sauce to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend. Add nutritional yeast and another pinch of salt and pepper. If it looks runny, add another tablespoon of flour or thickening agent. Blend until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, then add back to pan and continue cooking over medium to medium-low heat to thicken.
- Once your sauce has reached desired thickness, add lemon juice (1 lemon’s worth) and stir.
- Add 3/4 of the chopped broccoli and the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Divide between 2-3 serving plates and top with leftover broccoli. Serve with a lemon wedge and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator to enjoy later!