Spring is just around the corner and with this season comes warmer weather, longer days and – my favorite – light and zesty salads! This salad takes just a few minutes to prepare and it’s so light and colorful that you’ll be excited to eat it!
Instead of being smothered in a high-sugar BBQ sauce, the chickpeas in this salad are coated in BBQ-inspired seasonings, so you get all the delicious BBQ flavor with practically no calories.
Another way I’ve kept the calorie count low in this salad is to use a homemade healthy dressing. Typically, dressings are the least nutritious part of a salad and they tend to be loaded with unnecessary fats and sugars. Just one serving of an ordinary salad dressing can easily add up to 500 calories into your otherwise healthy meal! This salad dressing, however, is made from just Greek yogurt, garlic powder and lemon juice – all low-calorie, healthy ingredients.
This recipe makes one salad and one serving of dressing which is enough to feed one adult as a main meal. However, you can halve the ingredients to make one side salad or increase them to make as many salads as you need to.
Although this salad is definitely best eaten fresh as soon as you’ve made it, you can prepare it in advance so you don’t have to waste any time in the kitchen when you’re ready to eat. To store this salad, assemble it in a plastic container or a bowl and pop a lid on top or cover the container/bowl with plastic wrap. The salad will then keep well in the fridge for up to three days. The longer you leave the salad to sit in the fridge, the soggier the vegetables will get, so try not to make it too far ahead of time.
For the salad:
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons sweetcorn
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices cucumber
- ¼ cup cooked and drained chickpeas
- ¼ teaspoon of each: ground cayenne pepper, ground chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- To assemble this salad, place the lettuce in a small serving bowl and sprinkle the sweetcorn along one side.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and line them up next to the sweetcorn.
- Halve the cucumber slices and line them up next to the cherry tomatoes.
- Place the chickpeas in a small bowl and sprinkle over the cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Toss the chickpeas to make sure they’re evenly coated in the BBQ mix and tip them into the salad bowl next to the cucumber.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the Greek yogurt, garlic powder and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and enjoy.