A flavor-packed veggie burger that’s soft and juicy on the inside with a crisp golden crust on the outside. Even the biggest carnivore won’t be able to turn down these bbq cheddar chickpea burgers!
Veggie burgers are one of the most underrated foods out there. Sure, the premade ones from the store can be seriously lacking in both texture and flavor, but homemade ones are a totally different story. Packed with fiber-full chickpeas, crunchy broccoli, sweet carrot and smoky bbq sauce, these burgers offer something new and exciting in every single mouthful!
You can go down the traditional route and serve the patties inside a burger bun with lettuce and tomato or change it up a bit and use them to top a green salad, stuff them inside a whole wheat wrap or pita bread, or even serve them on a bed of veggie noodles. The possibilities are endless!
This recipe makes 6 large bbq chickpea burgers, but you can easily decrease the ingredients to make fewer burgers or increase them to make more if you need to. The burgers are equally good fresh from the oven or reheated from cold, making them perfect for preparing in advance. To make the burgers ahead of time, follow the recipe below and leave the patties to cool to room temperature. When cool, wrap each patty individually in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. When you’re ready to eat reheat the patties in the microwave, a non-stick pan or the oven until piping hot.
Vegan – Gluten-free – Makes 6 – 45 minutes
- ½ medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup cooked and drained chickpeas
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup bbq sauce (confirm it’s vegan, if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- Place all the ingredients into the bowl of a large food processor and process for 30 seconds, until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. You might have to scrape down the insides of the bowl a couple of times with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is properly mixed up.
- Evenly divide the mixture into 6 parts and shape each part into a patty.
- Space the patties out onto the lined baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the patties are golden brown and crisp on the outside.