Sweet, juicy peppers stuffed with tomato sauce and all kinds of delicious veggies, all sprinkled with a little bit of cheese that turns into melted, gooey heaven. Now this is the type of pizza you can feel good about eating!
Just because you take care of your body and watch what you eat doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy pizza. Although it might not have a heavy carb-loaded base, these veggie pizza-stuffed peppers are full of all the classic flavors you expect from a veggie pizza! There’s loads of tomato sauce, Italian herbs and a medley of vegetables to keep your health and your taste buds happy.
I love the combination of mushrooms, spinach, sweet corn and onion, but this recipe is so versatile that you can easily add your own fillings according to what you’ve got in the fridge. With so many healthy and yummy ingredients to choose from, you never have to eat the same veggie pizza-stuffed peppers twice!
This recipe makes enough to serve two people as part of a main meal, but you can easily halve the ingredients to make only one portion or increase them to make as many portions as you need. These peppers store really well, making them perfect to prepare in advance so you’ve got quick and healthy meals sat waiting for you when you don’t have time to cook.
To prepare this dish ahead of time, follow the recipe below, but don’t cook the stuffed pepper halves in the oven. Instead, wrap them up individually in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months. Then when you’re ready to eat, cook the peppers at 350°F for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook the pepper halves in the oven first time round as per the recipe, leave them to cool to room temperature then wrap them up individually in plastic wrap. When you’re ready to eat, simply heat the peppers up in the microwave until piping hot.
Vegetarian – gluten-free – serves 2 – 25 minutes
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 small mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small handful spinach leaves, shredded
- 2 teaspoons sweet corn
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup grated cheese (cheddar, edam, mozzarella, gouda…any medium or hard cheese will work!)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with tin foil, parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- Slice the bell pepper in half vertically and remove all the white bits and seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, basil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Evenly divide between the two pepper halves, treating them as if they were bowls.
- Stuff the mushrooms, spinach, sweet corn and onion into each pepper half. Try and disperse the fillings evenly and make sure they’re mostly covered with the tomato sauce to avoid burning.
- Sprinkle the cheese equally over each filled pepper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the peppers are starting to soften and the cheese has melted.