Golden brown with just the right amount of crispness on the outside and super soft with a chewy, cake-like consistency on the inside. These chocolate chip cookies are the best of both worlds and they’re vegan, too!
Did you know that most good quality dark chocolate with a 70% cocoa ratio or higher is naturally vegan? It’s true! But not only is dark chocolate great for people following a vegan lifestyle, it’s a fantastic choice for anyone eating healthy, too.
It’s a well-known fact that dark chocolate has more anti-oxidants than any other type of chocolate, but since it’s also richer and more intense in flavor, a little bit goes a long way. This means when you use dark chocolate chips in a recipe, you can use significantly less than if you were using milk or white chocolate, therefore seriously cutting down on calories, fat and sugar.
Instead of dairy butter, these vegan chocolate chip cookies are made with coconut butter which takes the flavor to a whole new level. The coconut isn’t overly powerful, but it adds the perfect hit of tropical sweetness to make an ordinary chocolate chip cookie much more interesting and delicious.
This recipe makes 9 large cookies, but you can easily decrease the ingredients to make fewer or increase them to make more. Although these cookies are definitely best fresh and warm from the oven, they do store really well. To store these cookies, follow the recipe below and leave them to cool down to room temperature before wrapping them individually in plastic wrap. The cookies will then keep perfectly in the fridge or at room temperature for up to five days or in the freezer for up to six months.
Vegan – makes 9 – 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan dark chocolate chips or chopped up dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and both sugars.
- Pour in the liquid coconut butter, water and vanilla extract and mix with a spoon until a dough forms.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the dough and gently stir them in until they’re evenly dispersed.
- Divide the cookie dough into 9 balls (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per ball) and lightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand before placing on the lined baking tray.
- Bake the cookies in the center of the preheated oven for around 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave on the baking tray for another 5 minutes (the cookies carry on baking whilst they’re on the tray) before removing to a wire rack and leaving to cool.