Like many fitness professionals, I live in athletic and athleisure clothing. So, when it comes to the quality of leggings, it’s of VITAL importance to me. Professionals in other industries are (at times) willing to pay top dollar for business suits and other types of professional attire because it is necessary and warranted for their position. This is the same in fitness. When I am looking for my work clothing, I consider many factors – and cost is only one of those considerations.
- Wicking/breathable: I need a material that is going to breathe (because, eww).
- Maintains integrity: Most people who are wearing workout clothes are only in them for 60 or 90 minutes (during a workout or class). When you work in fitness, you might be in those clothes for 4 – 5 hours before you have a chance to change. I need material that is not going to easily stretch out (if I’m training clients, I don’t want to be tugging my leggings up every 15 minutes after every exercise demonstration)
- Washes well: During a 14-hour workday, I am going to go through a couple of outfits, and they are going to be washed often. I need to know that they are going to stand up to the washing machine.
- Look/style: Of course, we all want to look good. Is the style/cut flattering? It better be! Because I am representing myself to my clients and I need to look professional.
- Cost: When the leggings hit all my needs, I will pay more for them – because I know they are going to work as hard as I am.
Soybu has become one of my fave go-to brands. The feel of the material is soft yet durable. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Commando style because, well, come on – built-in panty??? HELLO! (One less item I have to wash.) I have legit worn my Soybu leggings for 5 hours without any tugging. They wash great, and I always receive compliments.
So, are Soybu leggings worth a splurge? Absolutely. In fact, I don’t know if I would call them a “splurge.” I would call them a wise investment.
-Amanda Barnes-Tolson, Be By Barnes Personal Training